3 June 2010

He doesn't live anywhere, he is dead.

Still waiting for the boss to come back; she'll be here on Tuesday so until then I guess I won't be doing much. The hierarchical structures here are pretty firmly set, and no one can really do anything unless the boss approves. That doesn't mean she's a tyrant, on the contrary I've been told she's a very nice woman (I haven't met her yet but she has certainly raised two very nice sons - I met them in Tbilisi), but it's just the way things work. It does bother me a little bit that it'll take a while to get started, mostly because it means I'll be teaching for a shorter period of time. Maybe one week doesn't make so much of a difference, but they have no English teacher around when they don't have foreign interns here and I feel they should get as much as possible out of my time here. Then again, I understand from my colleague and host S. that it doesn't really matter if the full three months aren't used. Flexibility is the rule. Just anal Swedishness kicking in?

So until work starts I'm just trying to gather as many ESL resources as possible so I'm better prepared. Today I found something pretty interesting for practising the present simple tense and possessive pronouns: pictures of famous people and short questions like "who is he?", "what is his name?", "where does he live?" and then the answers to these questions. Fair enough so far. Except the famous people chosen were Napoleon, Ingrid Bergman and the Beatles. So the Q&A went like this:
Who is he?
He is Napoleon.
What is his name?
His name is Napoleon.
Where does he live?
He is dead.
...

They're all bloody dead! Well, not all the Beatles, but close enough. What sort of answer is that to learn anyway?

Another thing I've noticed here: I don't notice women screaming. Domestic violence is a huge problem in Georgia, and maybe it's because I'm living with S. who actually works with such issues, but it seems as if here such things are taken a lot more seriously than I'm used to. A woman was screaming and crying for a longer period of time around the apartment blocks here the other day, and several neighbours, including S.'s mother G., went out to see where it was coming from and what was up (mourning a dead loved one or taking a beating?). S. told me it's usually the neighbours that call the police and then it's up to the woman if she presses charges or not. Most of the time she doesn't.

But I didn't even notice the noise until S. did. Maybe it's because I've spent so much time in England and there your average screaming and crying girl is so drunk she can barely stand and most often arguing with a friend, boyfriend, a friend that slept with her boyfriend or just shrieking for the sake of it. I remember it pissed me off when I first came there, because I used to go to my window to see what was up and whether I should call the police, only to spot some girls apparently having a "conversation". But now I'm obviously completely desensitised. Worrying.

1 comment:

  1. Funny and worrying. Makes up for a good mix. Keep on writing as we keep following. :-) Oh, and you totally should set a short novel at this huge desert-telescope in Chile.

    (http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/weltall/0,1518,692674,00.html)

    ReplyDelete