1 August 2010

Ghost town

The temperature went up to something like 39 degrees today, according to the most reliable weather site (that I've found so far) for Zugdidi. I think it was actually more. On TV they issued warnings about a heat wave that will last for another 10 days, and apparently people took heed of the health warnings because today, the streets were almost completely empty. No children playing outside in the playground. Hardly anyone walking down the street. Spent most of the day inside finishing up "Die Unendliche Geschichte" but went for a walk around 18:30 when I figured it would've cooled down a bit. It had, according to the weather site (Foreca), but it still felt like walking in an oven. And still there was hardly anyone out, and those who were in the park were standing huddled around the fountain. At least the humidity is lower than usual, so the heat is drier and a bit easier to deal with.
Update: a neighbour with a thermometer reported that it was 57 degrees at 15:00. I assume that was in the sun, but still.

There's a forest fire in Borjomi, which sucks because that's where we want to go in about 2,5 weeks. It's hard to find any information in English about it, so I don't even know if it's in the actual national park, but I hope they'll be able to put it out soon.

Very slow day otherwise. The highlight was watching an American series, dubbed in Russian, in which a bunch of pretty teenagers in wetsuits were trying to defeat a Kraken with a disco ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment